- Rob Lacey
- Brighton, UK
- contact [at] robl [dot] me
profile / aims
I am a conscientious worker who enjoys meeting and dealing with new challenges. I work well with a team, but have the motivation to work alone if required. I am always willing and capable of learning new skills / technologies quickly and able to work under pressure. I love coding and keeping abreast of new technologies, and utilising them to enhance projects. I strive to constantly improve myself technically and learn from my experiences.
My ideal job would be to work in a team that I both contribute to and learn from, in a role that constantly challenges my skills and allows me to develop in new directions and one that involves subject matter that I feel passionate about.
work experience / history
- Senior Developer (June 2009 - current)
- Working remotely for the past 8 years in a small team of developers in a development team (based in Brighton, UK with my colleagues in New York, USA) for a very high volume music site. Building and maintaining a Social / E-commerce / Music site requiring anything from payment processing, media (images, audio and video) conversion, scaling performance, providing an API for external developers and Android/iOS mobile applications, integrating with Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud, Zencoder, Zendesk and a number of other third party APIs.
- Freelance Software Developer (September 2008 - current)
- Working for a number of clients, taking existing code bases, upgrading, adding new features and testing existing code. Working on ongoing support contracts to maintain daily operation of client web sites.
- Senior Developer / Systems Architect (July 2006 - September 2008)
- I worked in a small team of developers maintaining three of the company's core web sites and provisioning systems. Programming primarily in Ruby / Ruby On Rails and working in sprints using a combination of Scrum and XP methodologies to incrementally roll out new functionality and new products whilst maintaining the core code base. The role involves constant interaction with other team members to plan and deliver solutions, communications with all departments within the company and mentoring junior members of staff. The role requires me to use my sys admin skills, pick up new ideas and react quickly to resolve issues.
- Hosting Engineer (November 2005 - July 2006)
- I worked in a small Operations Team maintaining the network, domain registration, web hosting and mail platforms and acted as an escalation point for the Support Teams. The role required me to solve problems using a number of different skills and learning to prioritise tasks.
Mistral Internet (formerly Frontier Internet)
- 3rd Line Technical Support Engineer / ISP / Systems Engineer (July 2005 - November 2005)
- I worked in a busy Support Department, managing internal and customer tickets on a variety of services including: managed servers, connectivity, firewalls, MySQL / MSSQL Databases, IIS / Apache Web Services. I acted as the escalation point for 1st and 2nd Line Support Teams. My duties varied on a daily basis because of the range of services that were offered and involved communication between multiple departments as well as direct contact with customers. Other duties include some coding projects and consolidating several different hosting platforms into one single new platform.
- Network Operations Engineer (August 2002 - July 2005)
- I worked in a small Network Operations team maintaining the core web, mail and data systems. The role involved sys-admin, configuring and installing Leased Lines at customer sites, network monitoring, DNS, MySQL. I used our internal ticketing systems to resolve internal and customer problems. Web development in PHP / MySQL for internal systems.
- Hostmaster (November 2000 - August 2002)
- I worked in a small team dealing with processing customers orders from initial set-up internet services. e.g. web hosting, mailboxes, dial-up, ADSL, etc. The role primarily involved domain maintenance and general office administration but also had scope to get involved in all technical aspects of the business, DNS management and programming in PHP / MySQL. It required interaction between sales, admin and Network Operations departments across two company sites and pre-sales enquiries from customers.
My first fulltime job was a Hostmaster for an Internet Service Provider, I quickly moved into a techinical role as Network Operations Engineer and then a Third-Line Support Engineer exposing me to a broad range of Operating Systems and envrionments. I've always had a passion for building web applications and websites so I moved into a role as a Software Engineer, developing a customer facing webstore selling domains and web hosting, and the infrastructure for automating the provisioning orders, takings payemtns, ordering domains and setting up web space and configuring user's accounts across a host of different servers.
I spent about a year freelancing before settling into my current role with PledgeMusic where I currently work as a Senior Developer in a small development team. Our product enables artists and musicians to fund their music independantly through their existing fanbases. The project encompasses a user facing funding platform, taking payments, integrating with major social networking platforms, uploading and managing audio and video files, and an API for integrating with third party partners and mobile apps.
I primarily with Ruby (and with Rails for web developement since 1.1.3 throught to 4.0). I have worked in small teams both as an individual and pair programming using Test Driven and Behaviour Driven Development with Test::Unit and Rspec. ALl projects required learning new tools and keeping abrest of appropriate technology including: SOAP, REST, ActiveResource, Socket based Daemons, ActiveMerchant for payment processing, ferret, HAML. I have also worked using various deployment environments including Nginx and Apache with Mongrel / Thin / Passenger / Unicorn, and Enterprise level platforms like EngineYard and Heroku.
- Certified Scrum Master
- Certified MySQL Professional
- Programming Languages
- Web Development
- HTML, CSS, jQuery
- Operating Systems
- Linux RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, WhiteBox, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows (2k / 2k3 Server, XP, Vista, 7), Gentoo
- Server Applications
- Apache, Nginx, ProFTPd, Exim, Zope, Plesk, IIS, Redis, Memcache
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, LDAP
- Version Control
- Git, Subversion, Darcs, CVS
- Deployment Environments
- VMware, OpenVZ (Virtuozzo), Xen, Amazon EC2, Amazon S3, Heroku, EngineYard
- iptables, ipchains, Fortigate, Netscreen
- Cisco, Ascend routers, ServerIron load balancers
education / qualifications
BSc Honours Musical Instrument Technology
A Level Physics
A Level Maths
A Level Electronics
AS-Level Music Technology
Interests include; online gaming, music fanatic, horror/sci-fi/thriller films, coding, gigs, playing guitar, socialising, cats, filmmaking.
Full clean driving license