Available for Hire

“...I've been working since 2008 with Ruby / Ruby on Rails, love a bit of Elixir / Phoenix and learning Rust. I also poke through other people's code and make PRs for OpenSource Ruby projects that sometimes make it. Currently looking for new opportunities...”

Rob Lacey (contact@robl.me)
Senior Software Engineer, Brighton, UK

Petty Annoyances #12309123

How hard is it to keep my Rails blog up to date? Honestly, I shouldn’t be worrying about such things because I created this site so many years ago and it was running Rails 4.x up until about a year ago. I them upgraded it to 7.x and everything broke. So now I’m taking a little time to spring clean and today…

rl@loathsome robl.me % bundle outdated
Fetching https://github.com/braindeaf/capistrano-puma
Fetching git@github.com:braindeaf/m3ta.git
Fetching gem metadata from https://rubygems.org/.........
Resolving dependencies...

Gem          Current  Latest  Requested  Groups
http-accept  1.7.0    2.2.1
rubocop      1.59.0   1.60.2

So what do we have:

  • https://github.com/braindeaf/capistrano-puma - Capistrano Puma is for deploying my application but the latest version I need to support Puma 6.x removes some nice monit support and it deprecates nginx configs. All of which I use. This is just a fork to allow Puma 6.x to be installed rather than holding the dependency back. Perhaps I could added the nginx and monit support back into my own gem. Also I will need some way of maintaining anycable systemd configs too so yes one day.

  • git@github.com:braindeaf/m3ta.git - I built a pretty functional meta tag management tool for my purposes. I haven’t published the latest update. I should. I should remember how the hell I did it last time. I will do that.

Then some other dependencies…

  • http-accept (1.7.0) is held back by rest-client (2.1.0) which is held back by ogpr (1.1.0) - This is just for grabbing Open Graph data from a url, I could do a pull request for OGPR to bring rest-client upto date. I’ll do that. https://github.com/hirakiuc/ogpr/pull/15

  • rubocop (~> 1.59.0) is being held back by standard (1.33.0) simples. I use Rubocop in some client projects and Juniper used standardrb which has it’s own standardised defaults which is fine. I can handle this. I’ll wait and upgrade if and when.

GIT
  remote: git@github.com:braindeaf/m3ta.git
  revision: 8f6b6f98941af3aee8fce4077f75a3896f3aef6a
  branch: rl/refactor_into_view_component
  specs:
    m3ta (0.1.1)
      hashie (= 5.0.0)
      rails (~> 7.0, >= 7.0.4.1)

GIT
  remote: https://github.com/braindeaf/capistrano-puma
  revision: b4cc103868fb680841d523011598a270448f8a1b
  branch: rl/support-puma6-in-5.2.0
  specs:
    capistrano3-puma (5.2.0)
      capistrano (~> 3.7)
      capistrano-bundler
      puma (>= 4.0, < 7.0)

GEM
  remote: https://rubygems.org/
  specs:

---8<---

    http-accept (1.7.0)
    http-cookie (1.0.5)
      domain_name (~> 0.5)

---8<---

    ogpr (1.1.0)
      nokogiri (~> 1.8)
      rest-client (~> 2.1.0)

---8<---

    rest-client (2.1.0)
      http-accept (>= 1.7.0, < 2.0)
      http-cookie (>= 1.0.2, < 2.0)
      mime-types (>= 1.16, < 4.0)
      netrc (~> 0.8)

---8<---

    rubocop (1.59.0)
      json (~> 2.3)
      language_server-protocol (>= 3.17.0)
      parallel (~> 1.10)
      parser (>= 3.2.2.4)
      rainbow (>= 2.2.2, < 4.0)
      regexp_parser (>= 1.8, < 3.0)
      rexml (>= 3.2.5, < 4.0)
      rubocop-ast (>= 1.30.0, < 2.0)
      ruby-progressbar (~> 1.7)
      unicode-display_width (>= 2.4.0, < 3.0)

---8<---

    standard (1.33.0)
      language_server-protocol (~> 3.17.0.2)
      lint_roller (~> 1.0)
      rubocop (~> 1.59.0)
      standard-custom (~> 1.0.0)
      standard-performance (~> 1.3)
    standard-custom (1.0.2)
      lint_roller (~> 1.0)
      rubocop (~> 1.50)

---8<---

DEPENDENCIES
  
---8<---

  ogpr

---8<---

standardrb

---8<---

RUBY VERSION
   ruby 3.3.0p0

BUNDLED WITH
   2.5.5

Being out of date isn’t the end of the world, but it’s nice to think you’re on the cutting edge.